Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Art Museum

You've gotta love the mind of an Aspergers Teen - or maybe all Teens....


Like any other day, when DJ arrived home I asked "how was your day?" and I got the usual answer "fine". But today was a special day, today DJ went on a field trip to the Art Museum. This was his first time visiting this grand landmark, and I was curious, I needed to know more, so I asked just a few more questions, intended to enlighten me on what new educational information blanketed my child.

We sat down for the ritual snack time and began our conversation. I asked "what did you see at the museum today?" DJ replied "I saw some steps in front, and mom, they looked just like the steps that Will Smith was on in one of the shows of Fresh Prince". That detail certainly caught DJ's attention but I was looking for some more info, perhaps some details regarding a particular painting, or sculpture or a certain artist. So I asked again "was there anything else interesting while you were there?", to which DJ replied "Well, there was some construction going on outside, and my classmate got himself stuck on the wet cement". OK I wasn't being specific enough, so I asked once more "what did you see at the museum?". "I saw some homeless people sleeping under the blankets on the sidewalk."

After a brief discussion about the homeless people, we returned to the questions and this time I tried a little harder, to get to the core of the trip, and so I asked "What about inside the museum, what did you see?" to which he answered "I saw some artwork ". Maybe we're getting somewhere,"What did you learn about at the Art Museum?" I asked. He thought for a moment "I learned that it is the same place that appeared on that episode of Fresh Prince. It looks exactly the same too, except that they were doing a little construction when I went there".

You've got to love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nigel would have focused on something like that too! I love their way of viewing things.

Cristina said...

Tanya - It is pretty amazing. I was attempting a little discussion about Art - LOL

dluvscoke said...

I love this! My oldest son has autism. Conversations can be very interesting...and fuuny at times.
Please look at my blog. I think our readers would benefit from exchanging links if you are interested?
dluvscoke
http://www.snippetsnstuff.com