Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Autism Times Six !!!!!!

The other day I was watching Jon & Kate Plus 8 (www.sixgosselins.com) on the Learning Channel. I love to watch them. I think it is so brave to put your family outhere for the world to see, but I also learn from them as I watch each week, and look up to them, and their ability to maintain structure in their home, and keep sanity. So one night a couple of weeks ago, I imagined in my mind, what the story would be like, should their children have autism ( I was not wishing it on them, please). Just wondering if having a show with a family that had one or two children with autism, would somehow help the world understand autism better. So behold, a few nights ago I hear about AutismX6. Was someone reading my mind???

AutismX6 is a small documentary that aired on Discovery Health Channel on October 4th. The family featured have 6 children all on the Autism Spectrum. Two of their angels have classic autism, they are non-verbal, the oldest is now 14 and has High Functioning Autism, he so reminded me of my 13 ear old. The two after him have Aspergers, and they are so much like my 10 year old. Their youngest has PDD-nos. The Kirtons have a website www.autismbites.com. They have a Foundation to help other families with Autism, they have an awesome Autism Awareness T-Shirt Collection they sell, and a couple other home based businesses to help support their family. Their website is full of resources for families as well. And http://www.autismbitestheblog.blogspot.com/ is the link to their blog story.

Each of these moms (and dads) was given incredibly unusual situations. I admire Kate (J&K+8) so much, and envy her organizational skills, for her strength as a mother with so many little children. I admire Robin (the busiest mom on earth), who's had to make sacrifices unlike any other mom, who has the most admirable unconditional love and kindness to give her children, who's able to nurture them like no one else. Each one of these moms was given special gifts that only they could ever handle. God knew what he was doing :o) with these two. GOD BLESS THEM Abundantely...

No comments: